Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

195 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having heavy bleeding with stomach pain. Stopped contraceptive pills. Can this be early miscarriage?

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I have been off the contraceptive pill for a year and have only had my period twice in this year. Had unprotected sex a few times and have been bleading heavily now for 5 days with lumps of blood and been in unbelievable pain in stomach and back, sometimes cramping pains that made me unable to stand up straight. I've also been sick twice and now I feel feverish and ill like a flu. I never used to bleed a lot or have severe pain when having my period. Is there a risk this was an early miscarriage and should I consult my GP or can I just assume it was a heavy period and go on like normal?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer: NEED PROPER INVESTIGATION. CONSULT WITH DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Heavy bleeding with clots or lumps following long time missed period may be due to PCOD (Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease), Hypothyroidism, Over weight, Hormonal imbalance, early miscarriage (as you involved in unprotected sex), uterine fibroid or polyp etc. Here, I suggest to undergo one blood test for beta-hCG to rule out pregnancy or miscarriage. Supportive investigation like Pelvic Ultrasound Scan, Hormone test, blood prolactin level etc are required to rule out the exact cause and pinpoint the diagnosis. Proper treatment depends on diagnosis of the case. Therefore, you must consult with your gynecologist for clinical examination and relevant tests as mentioned above. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from your doctor. In the mean time, you would take healthy balanced diet with IRON supplement, drink more fluid or water to stay hydrated, take PARACETAMOL to reduce fever and body ache, maintain genital hygiene properly and take adequate rest. Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Abortion

doctor1 MD

HELLO, I M TAKING PHENTERMINE BUT I HAD SEX A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO AND MY PARTNER SAID HE WANTED A BABY AND DECIDED TO CUM IN ME. Should I stop taking my pills or wait UNTIL I know for sure whether I m pregnant or not? I m not sure what to do because I don t want another child right now but I don t/can t have an abortion. What should I do?

doctor1 MD

Gud morning!!!! I am 34 years old and have 3.6 yrs son, i want to get rid of every months tension about missing periods . Have done abortion in 2012 inspite of taking protection. we both are not planning to have another child . My husband is 40 yrs old. Please suggest a good option for birth control. My height is 5.3 and 80kg is my weight.

doctor1 MD

I had a late miscarriage 8 weeks ago (21 weeks gestation). My first period was 4.5 weeks after birth and in the past 3 weeks I have become more bloated then I was before. It seems to get worse at night and is getting worse with time. My stomach is very bubbly, with lose and urgent stools every morning (up to 4 times). Is there anything I should worry about or indeed anything I can do to help it?

doctor1 MD

Hi im 9weeks pregnant now my first pregnancy was miscarriage because of no heart beat .for 2 months my doctor told me to take duphaston two times a day is that safe for the baby?my ultrasound today was ok my baby now has a heartbeat im just worry about the possible effect of duphaston in my baby.,please help me

doctor1 MD

I had my surgical abortion on may then i got 2 proper periods on time but the third period is 9 days late please help,i hv done the hcg test came negative , m finding a watery dicharge white plzz help

doctor1 MD

I am 45 days pregnant and i already have 1 child who is 2 years old. Myself amd my husband have not planned for the second child so we want to abort this pregnancy . We consulted a doctor and he has given 6 tablets for 10 days most of which is...

doctor1 MD

Best brand for copper t wen multiload goes for a failure ???