Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Having heat rashes and irritation at groin area. Using frenchie inners. Medicine for long term remedy?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
Every summer I face huge sweat - heat Rashes and irritation at groin area. This is basically a heat & sweat Rash. this is specif to that area and does not affect any other part.

I am using frenchie inners which is rubbing in the same part. However I have tried long briefs but that has not helped much.

I have consulted dermatologists, they have advised a medicine which relieves me for short period or that specific season, but every year I get same problem.

Kindly advice the measures and medicine for long term remedy?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 54 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
You seem to be suffering from frictional intertrigo.
Areas like groins, axilla, infra mammary area (in females )are warm, moist areas prone to friction and these areas offer a perfect environment to fungus for thriving well. In summers or humid weather the problem increases due to increased sweating.
To treat the same, you might follow these suggestions
Wear loose cotton underclothes and clothes. Clothes like jeans can aggravate the problem and hence should not be worn when having intertrigo.

After bathing, dab the area properly with towel to dry it completely. Once dry apply clotrimazole dusting powder. Its an absorbant antifungal powder and will prevent further occurence of the rashes

Keep the area dry as much as possible. Change your inner wear twice in a day. Do not wear tight briefs that rub and cause or aggravate rashes

To treat present episode of rash, apply a steroid antifungal cream like candid b cream twice in a day. Once the rashes clear away discontinue the same and just continue with clotrimazole powder

With these preventive measures, hopefully you would not face frictional intertrigo again.
Should there be a further query, please write back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having heat rashes and irritation at groin area. Using frenchie inners. Medicine for long term remedy? 15 hours later
Dear Dr,
Thanks for your response. Hope this will help me.

However I have been using clotrimazole dusting powder after bath and in evening after I reach home from office.

However after applying the powder with in 2-3 hrs the area again starts sweating and that powdered surface becomes wet. this stops the process and affect of powder and aggravates the itching.

Please Advice.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 hours later
As you have been using clotrimazole powder and two times in a day is not helping you, you may dust the area three times to four times in a day. if not possible, use antifungal soap while bathing too( candid soap).
Secondly I feel that you sweat excessively. To help out with the same, shave your pubic hair regularly. Wear loose cotton under wear, change it twice in a day. After bathing dry the area completely. If over weight, reduce your weight too.

Hope that would help.
Should there be any other query, please write back
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having heat rashes and irritation at groin area. Using frenchie inners. Medicine for long term remedy? 2 days later
Dear Dr,

Thanks a lot, this is really helping me a lot.

As we are into this discussion, kindly advise me some tips to loose weight if some suggestions are possible from your end. I am slightly overweight: my Height is 5'10" and weight is 80 kgs.

Kindly advice some good exercises beyond jogging if possible. Thanks once again.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I really apologise that I would not be able to give you an expert advise on losing weight. However having small frequent meals in a day high in protein low in refined carbohydrates and fat helps esp if combined with high intensity exercises/ workouts.

Hope that helped. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor