Having headache with movement of eyes. What could be causing this?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My head hurts when i move my eyes. It only happens after waking. What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 3 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Headache with movement of eyes is not typically related to any serious medical problems. A few conditions which may be related are:

1. Sometimes infection or just inflammation of the frontal sinuses can lead to a dull, throbbing pain between or behind the eyes associated with headache. It may tend to be worse in the mornings and you may also have frequent tearing, congestion, runny nose, fever and sensitivity to light accompanied with headaches. Absence of the associated symptoms relatively rules out sinusitis.

2. Swimming in dirty water, airborne allergies, even a cold or the flu may cause or be associated with headache with eye movement. Most often the symptoms are transient here.

3. Eye strain can be among other factors that can be a reason for a headache behind the eyes. Try to avoid eye strain by giving intermittent rest to eyes - this along with frequent lubrication eye drops can be helpful. It would also be wise to get your vision and eye checked by an expert ophthalmologist.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question, then I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad