Owl Image

Having headache, diarrhea and feeling exhausted. Could this be coeliac?

Question
I've had what I thought was IBS on and off for years. However, since May I have been having diarrhoea on a daily basis (bar few days here and there), from 2 -6 times a day. Obviously I am feeling exhausted and run down from this. Only now am I starting to take Imodium, which helps. I'm studying and feel my concentration levels are poor. Also I have been getting headaches. And having problems completing daily tasks. Could this be Coeliac? I have an appointment with G.P on Monday.
Thank you for your assistance.
XXXXXXX
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I understand your concern and will try to address it with best of my knowledge.
In fact, the symptoms of IBS are so similar to the symptoms of celiac disease that the two disorders can be difficult to tell apart. In some cases, patients who've been told they have IBS may actually have celiac disease as well, without realizing it.

Whereas celiac disease affects the small intestine, IBS predominantly affects the colon, or large intestine. 

With so many similarities between IBS and celiac, it's not surprising that medical researchers have found a high rate of celiac disease in patients with IBS. 
The  researchers found that patients with IBS had a prevalence of celiac disease more than 4 times higher than participants without IBS.

In nut shell, you may be having any of the two problem or both of them and so you should be investigated by doing a colonoscopy along with biopsy.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks