Having headache and a soft squishy type swelling behind right temple. What might this be?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My 20 year old is experiencing a migraine type headache and has a soft squishy type swelling just behind his right temple that he reports as feeling weird when pressing on it. What might this be?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lipoma Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Soft squishy type of a swelling is most likely to be a lipoma. Since it is behind the temple pressing on it might cause soft tingly sensation. Migraine type headache might not be related to the swelling. Here are my suggestions to you 1. If the headaches are not severe and comes not more than once a week you could ask him to take paracetamol for the pain 2. If the pain is severe please approach a neurologist for a CT brain and further work up of the headache 3. Please approach a general surgeon for the swelling, and keep an eye for increase in size of the swelling, change in colour and tenderness 4. Please continue the medications he is currently taking I hope I was of help to you, please get back to me with a photo of the swelling if possible. You have an option of uploading photos on our portal. Regards