Having headache. CT scan and lumber puncture normal. How long will it take to get cured?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I had a headache that would not go away. They did a ct scan it was normal and the lumbar puncture ended up being normal. I am 5'6 and 118 pounds. Went to emergency room and they did a lumbar puncture on Sunday and today is Thursday. I have a mild headache and I am afraid the headache is going to get worst. On Tuesday they did a blood patch with 3 ml of blood bc they couldnt get anymore. Do you know when this will all heal? He used something called instrument A to perform my lumbar puncture.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is good to know that your CT scan and lumbar puncture (LP) are normal.

Headaches are common after lumbar puncture, referred to as low pressure or post LP headaches.

These headaches are mainly at the back of head and neck region, and get worse on sitting up or standing, and tend to decrease on lying down.

Blood patch is the recommended treatment (already done in your case). Drinking plenty of fluids and maintaining lying down position are also helpful.

It generally resolves in a weeks' time, but in some cases may go on for two weeks.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Do you think 3ml of blood is sufficient to close the tear? In my case he used something called Instrument A? I know that the needle size also matters but I am ot sure if that Instrument was small? or on the larger side. Please let me know.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

3 ml of blood is enough for the patch.

The instrument used for you is a small bore needle.

So, I think you would recover fast.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks so much for your reply. One last question, i tried going out today but feel very dizzy and weak. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

It is normal to feel dizzy and weak in this situation. You can do so in graded fashion. Try walking around at home for some time, and gradually increase the duration of standing and walking.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)