Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Having hard lump at the butt check size of a pea sized, pressing on it hurts. Have RA. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
hard lump at bottom of left butt check about the size of a very small egg another pea sized one on right cheek, I had been pressing on large lump now it hurts I have RA
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Most likely this lumps are abscesses. Due to local tissues infection the pus accumulates under the skin and gives hard lump and lots of pain.
Such abscess can be caused by fistula between the rectum and the skin. Due to this connection, tissues get infected by intestinal bacteria what leads to an abscess. Such abscesses are usually near the anus.

If your lumps are not very close to the anus, other reasons are also possible including skin infection due to ingrown hair or infection due to diabetes.

No matter what is the reason of this lumps, the first step in the treatment is an incision and pus evacuation. That is why I suggest you to visit general surgeon and have it done.
Next step should be a diagnostics. Blood sugar level should be checked. Colonoscopy should be done if fistula is possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor