Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Having groin pain. Scheduled for MRI. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions
I am working with several doctors on pain but noticed this information. Also working closely with P/T in Fairfield CT (Rehab Associates). Thinking about Sports Meds because I was from age 18-28 very active cyclist and have groin pain. Scheduled for MRI today and following up with pain specialist shorty. Have any ideas?
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query again.
The pain you are having could be due to spondylolisthesis as you are suspecting. An MRI will help in diagnosing the cause. You can share your reports here too so that I can guide you better regarding your problem.
The nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself.
These neural pains are a challenging thing to treat as careful examination is needed to ascertain the level of nerve involvement.
Till then you can avoid lifting any weights, avoid indulging in any heavy exercise, apply a local analgesic gel on your lower back after a hot fomentation.
Methylcobalamin supplements in high doses will help in an early improvement.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having groin pain. Scheduled for MRI. Any ideas? 13 hours later
Dr. Tayal,

Here is a link to the CD from the MRI that was given to me today.

or you can try this one also
Have also sent you a file with screenshots as not certain the links above will work. Could you kindly share an email address this would make it easier for you too see this information.
Is there a generic name for Methamphetamine? Yes I was told to place Biofreeze on back and heating pad.
What are the typical protocols for this type of issue. Dr today mention I had to go to hospital to get shots in my back? Steroids? Also wondering about surgery but need to understand MRI detail with you and my doctor.

Thanks so much for all the help here! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
You may attach the report using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side. or Do care to send it to
YYYY@YYYY with my name (Attn : Dr Praveen Tayal ) in the subject.
Methamphetamine is not available over the counter. You will have to get it prescribed from your physician.
Usually conservative treatment with pain killers, physiotherapy exercises and local steroid injections is done. In case the nerves are severely affected, a surgery is considered.
Waiting for your reports.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having groin pain. Scheduled for MRI. Any ideas? 9 minutes later
Ok have sent to email address as stated above. Let me know if you can see it or get this, not going to be up much longer in pain. Sorry for this..Had you tried the weblinks I sent as well?
WWW.WWWW.WW or you can try this one also

Also have attached screenshot reports for you.

Thanks for all your assitance. Will talk tomorrow if available.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I have tried both the weblinks and i could not open the files.
I have seen the screenshot reports.
Though the complete report would have been more helpful, it seems that there is a degenerative disc disease at the level of L5-S1.
Going for the injections as advised by your orthopedician will be helpful. You can also start with back strengthening exercises under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor