• question-icon

Having graves' disease and hashimotos. What could be causing high heart rate, sinus tachycardia and sweating?

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: 40 yr old female with Graves' disease and hashimotos. Past three days have had frequent episodes of high heart rate. Seen in the clinic then went to ER yesterday. Sinus tachycardia, sweating, low grade fever, felt it was hard to breathe and tremors. T3 and T4 were ok. Heart rate was at 126 but after two hours came down to 85 both at rest. Exhausted afterwards. Felt like I had run a marathon. They did not know what is causing this.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the instruction below... Detailed Answer: Hi! I read very carefully your concern and would like to say that you shouldn't worry so much. The principal causes of tachycardia are: 1. Hyperthyroidism (Graves' disease) 2. Fever 3. Smoking 4. Alcohol and cocaine abuse 5. Heart Disease both congenital and acquired. 6. Idiopathic (unknown cause) 7. Medicine induced for example Thyroxin supplement-induced As you see there are a lot of causes of tachycardia and also in a lot of cases there are unknown cases. If I was your doctor will monitor your rhythm and tension and follow up very carefully. Hope it helped answering your question! Dr.Benard p.s. if you have further concerns, do not hesitate to contact me
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist