Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Having gout in my wrist. Suggest medication

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I have gout in my wrist ,what can I take to ease the pain ?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: NSAID's are the First choice for ACUTE GOUT. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX NSAID's (Non steroidal antiinflammatory drugs) are the first line drugs used in the treatment of gout to provide immediate pain relief. Though there are numerous list of drugs under the NSAID category, the commonly prescribed are DICLOFENAC, ACECLOFENAC, IBUPROFEN, INDOMETHACIN etc. So, you can take any one of these preparations to get swift pain relief (preferably after consulting your treating doctor). For people who can't take or who are intolerant to NSAID's, a drug called COLCHICINE is an alternative. The problem with this drug is its side effects, especially copious diarrhoea. If neither NSAID's nor COLCHICINE is an option, then gout attacks can be effectively treated with an oral corticosteroid like PREDNISONE or Corticosteroid injections into the involved joint. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor