Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Having gastric problem. Feeling nauseated, gagging and low fever. Having diarrhoea. What's going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 353 Questions
Hi, I am having some gastric issues. On Saturday I woke up extremely nauseated and gagging, but not vomiting. I also had a low grade fever for 24 hours. Sunday I started having diarrhea. I have it every morning. I am trying to only eat bland foods and follow the BRAT diet. I have only been eating real foods like rice and toast since Monday evening. Every time I eat I swell up with gas and look like a pregnant person and it is so painful. What is going on with me? I want to eat food so badly! I went to an urgent care facility today as well, and I got no recommendations.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

You have history of low-grade fever, nausea followed by diarrhea since Saturday and is continuing till today. It has been 5 days.

From the history, it looks like infective diarrhea started with gastritis.

As you swell up after eating, it indicates you have indigestion for which Cap. Omez 20 mg two times a day before food can be taken. It is mostly available over the counter in US.

You can take Tab. Imodium available over the counter for diarrhea- 1 tablet 2times a day is enough.

Take probiotic like sporolac XXXXXXX after mixing it with water.

Take care of dehydration with oral rehydration solutions like XXXXXXX rebalanze/electral powder.

If frequency and severity of diarrhea and other symptoms do not come down in 24 hrs; consult physician as you may need anti-microbial drugs like norfloxacin-tinidazole or ciprofloxacin to control infection.

Drink lot of fluids to prevent dehydration.

Have non-spicy food for 3-4 days.

Continue medicines for 1 day, if severity does not come down consult physician to get anti-microbial prescribed.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor