Having fullness in the kidney, frequent infections, dry mouth, constipation. Had surgery for PUJ obstruction. Normal?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had undergone surgery in December 2011 to correct a PUJ obstruction. It is now one year since the operation was performed and I do not feel very well. I continue to experience symptoms such as fullness in the kidney, frequent infections, excessive drinking of water, dry mouth, pain in the left flank, burning under the feet especially when I urinaye.I feel very tired and i am unable to concentrate, i become very irritable, and also suffer with severe constipation. I recently visited my doctor who made me do blood tests. The platelets were high over 311. he said that was due to the recent surgery. I also did an ivp whih revealed a back up of urine in the kidney, it was explained that the kidney is barely functioning and it was smaller than the right one. what do I do,
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hello

You have undergone surgery for PUJ obstruction in Dec 2011.and still you have symptoms of general malaise and obstructive uropathy. Will you please furnish some more information to conclude?

1) When was your PUJ detected?
2) The IVP that you have posted is old one done before surgery or recent one?
3) Have you done your blood test (Serum Creatinine, Blood Urea) and DTPA scan to asses Kidney Function before and after surgery?

Please feel free to ask if you have more questions. I shall be pleased to answer the same. Waiting for your feedback. Thanks with Regards.

Dr. Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
The PUJ was detected in the early part of 2011, i ALSO HAD TWO STONES WHICH WAS BLASTED PRIOR TO HAVING SURGERY DONE TO RECTIFY PUJ.

i FORGOT TO MENTION ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS THAT I AM ALSO EXPERIENCING WHICH IS PUFFINESS OF FACE, I AM 39, MY FACE LOOKS LIKE I AM 79
IVP was done recently
Recent blood tests results
1TEST NORMAL ABNORMAL
Hematology
WBC 5.9
LYMPHOCYTES 2.2
MID# 0.3
GRANULOCYTES 3.4
LYMPHOCYTES 37.4
MID% 5.9
GRANULOCYTES 56.7
HEAMOGLOBIN 13.7
RBC 4.93
HEAMATOCRIT 40.7
MCV 82.6
MCH 27.7
MCHC 33.6
PLATLETS 311H

RENAL PROFILE
BUN 17.0
CREATININE 1.0
SODIUM 144.3
POTASSIUM 4.14
CHLORIDE 106.8
BUN/CREA RAT 17.0
eGFR 61.7

CHEMISTRY
URIC ACID 5.5

ANALYSIS RESULT
CREATININE 75 UMOl/L
URIC ACID 0.19MMOl/L
BILIRUBIN TOTAL 14.3umol/L
GOT (AST) 36u/l
GPT(ALT) 26u/l
GGT 35 u/l
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 53u/l
PROTEIN 68 g/l
ALBUMIN 42g/l
CHOLESTEROL 4.8 mmol/L
TRIGLYCERIDES 3.12mmol/L
BUN 2.90mmol/L
HDL 0.62mmol/L
CORONARY RISK FACTOR 7.7 ratio
GLOBULIN 26 g/l
LDL CHOL 2.8 mmol/L
VLDL CHOL 1.42mmol/L

WBC 6,2
LY 36.9
MO 18.7
GR 44.4
LY# 2.3
MO 1.2
GR# 2.8
RBC 4.82
Hgb 13.0
Hct 41.1
MCV 85.3
MCH 27.0
MCHC 31.6 L
RDW 14.7
Plt 238
MPV 10.7

TEST F4 1.35
TSH 1.68
T3F 4.23 HI

URINE
GLU NEG
BIL NEG
KET NEG
SG 1.OO5
BLO NEG
PH 7.5
PRO NEG
URO O.2 E.U./dL
NIT NEGLEU NEG

tHESE WERE RECENT RESULTS OF TESTS DONE IN JULY AND DECEMBER 2012

i HAVE MADE AN APPOINTMENT TO DO A COLONOSCY NEXT WEEK. i HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT i NEED TO TAKE 4 DULCOLAX ON THURSDAY AND ON FRIDAY TO FAST FOR THE DAY AND ONLY TAKE SALINE LAXATIVE. i AM CONCERNED WHETHER THIS WOULD AFFECT MY KIDNEYS IN ANY WAY. THE COLONOSCOPY IS SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY MORNING

I am also experiencing severe heart palpitation and a pain around my heart area,

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 hours later
Thanks for the feedback Your recent blood chemistry is wee within normal range and the main positive aspect is that your renal profile does indicate normal kidney function.

All these symptoms may be due to UTI however function of the Lt kidney can be ascertained only on DTPA scan so please get it done at earliest. Please send urine for culture and sensitivity and once you get the report start the appropriate antibiotics.

Kindly post me result of your Colonoscopy. Please ensure to take plenty of water.

Thanks with regards.
Dr. Patil.