Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Having frequent watery loose motion and gets cured. How to get rid of it permanently?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 439 Questions
Hello Doctor, My husband is having frequent instances of Loose motions watery in last 15 days. It occurs for sometime and he has about 2-3 loose motions and then gets cured on its own, it happened 3 times in last 15 days. can you pls suggest what needs to be done
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 hours later

Thanks for asking.

Diarrhea for the last 15 days points towards some sort of infection in the gut, You have not mentioned whether he has taken any antibiotics for the same or not.

Any way, loose motions not getting cured in 15 days needs investigations, he probably needs to undergo some blood and stool examination to reach the diagnosis.

Only when the proper diagnosis is established, the treatment part can be undertaken.

In the mean time take care of the fluid and electrolytes to prevent dehydration.


Please let me know if you need further information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having frequent watery loose motion and gets cured. How to get rid of it permanently? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor XXXXXXX He has not taken any treatment/antibiotics so far. Loose motions are not regular but they occur for sometime and some 2-3 motions and then it becomes normal. This happened three times in last 15 days.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 3 hours later
It probably means that there is a mild low grade infection persisting in the gut, which needs to be treated.

Please get the blood and stool tests done and advise him to take the proper medication after that.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor