Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having frequent urination and soreness. Urine test done. What are the complications?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
I have had a urine test which was sent to the lab, my symptoms were frequest passing urine and soreness, test has come back with no bacteria seen but has red blood cells, I cannot see visably, it was under the microscope. I am worried as there is no infection and where has the red blood cells come from. I am just worried this could mean something else going on, my date of birth is 5.3.62.

Thanking you for your reply XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 37 minutes later
Ideally you should get your urine analysis repeated, and specifically look for persistent presence of Red Blood Cells.
If they are indeed present, you will need to have a few more tests. The easiest of these would include an ultrasound examination of your kidneys and bladder region with a full bladder and also after you have emptied the bladder. Common conditions causing blood cells to appear in urine include stones in kidneys, and infections, all of which might not be readily apparent.
If the facility is available, the urine can also be examined by a cytologist for presence of any unusual looking cells which might warrant a cystoscopy which is an endoscopic examination of your lower urinary tract. Some kidney disorders also might have microscopic haematuria, where the red cells become abnormally shaped.
All said and done, this is the worst case scenario. There is a good possibility that you might have no major illness, and you could have been worrying about nothing, but it is always better to be safe, and get an evaluation done as per guidelines, especially as you are now over 50 years old.
Hope I have been of help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor