Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having frequent urination and burning sensation during urination. Having back pain and mild fever. Took Norfolk. Guide?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14917 Questions
My wife is having frequent urination and along with burning sensation during release of urine. she is also having back pain and mild fever. she is going through this since last 3 days. we visited to the doc and she advised to take Norfolk 400 twice a day. first day it was fine but again it is similar today. pl advice.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The symptoms are definitely in keeping with a Urinary tract infections can involve any area of the urinary tract- the urethra, bladder, ureter or kidneys.

The antibiotic she is using is suppose to be highly effective, it is rapidly absorbed when taken, food and dairy products may decrease its absorption so it should be taken on an empty stomach.

It may take 2 to 3 days for your wife to notice significant improvement of her symptoms though she noticed an initial response. If she completes the antibiotic course and is still having symptoms then it is possible that the bacteria causing her infection is resistant to the antibiotic she was given.
The doctor would have sent some urine to the lab and based on the lab report would be able to say which antibiotics would work best.

She should drink alot of water, this would help to flush the urinary tract.

In addition to the above the reduce the chances of a recurrent infection she would need to empty her bladder before and after intimacy and frequently during the day so the urine is not stored.
Cranberry juice can be used as soon as any symptoms appear, it is known to help in these infections.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor