Having forgetfulness. CT scan shows dementia. Any suggestion?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Alzheimer's
Question: two weeks ago my mother was doing fine, like an average 78 year old. A little forgetful. She developed cellulitis in her toe and drove herself to the ED for treatment October 12th. We have followed up with her Dr. and a podiatrist, all seems to have healed. On the 21st she was very forgetful, not sure of many things but also remembering many things. We passed a Walgreens on the way to the Dr. and she remembered we needed to go there to get her sister her favorite perfume for Christmas. It was mine and my brothers birthday, she totally forgot, even with me baking the cake I make every year only on my birthday. Then 23rd she is totally out of it, unable to walk without great assist, cant even use walker alone. I have taken her to the ED twice all test WNL, last time they did a CT and said she had atrophy and it was just dementia. Can she really go from functioning normally to total assist with ambulation and eating in just 2 weeks from Dementia?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Certain forms of dementia can progress fast

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query regarding your mother.

Based on the description, it seems to be a case of rapidly progressive dementia.

I agree Alzheimer's disease can not progress so fast, however, certain other types of dementia can progress fast. These include infections, infarcts (lack of blood flow to brain), vitamin B 12 deficiency, metabolic derangements (such as low sodium, liver of kidney failure, thyroid problems, etc), subdural hematoma, etc.

Please consult a Neurologist for establishing the cause in her case and starting the treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in