Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Having foot pain with discoloration and swelling. Had metatarsal fix. MRI showed mild difuse disc bulge L5-S1. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
had 5th metatarsal fx in XXXXXXX (junction of XXXXXXX fx vs large avulsion fx) MD wanted to try conservative treatment. In april, still had foot pain while walking with discoloration and swelling. plain films showed demineralization bone scan positive. Was told I had mild RSD (CRPS). Still have clicking/ popping in foot at times. Unable to do heel rise or bear weight on ball of foot with heel raised. ( just won't do it, foot collapses ) and some light buzzing sensation in foot. was sent to phys med doc. who thought it might be s1 radiculopathy. I was told MRI essential normal, showing mild difuse disc bulge L5-S1 and bilat facet arthrosis no herniation central canal or neuroforaminal narrowing. Also 1.o cm round R1 and T2 hyperdense lesion in inferior aspect of L4 vertebral body likely representing hemangioma. Short course of tapering prednisone offered fleeting improvement in strength in foot but mostly have experienced increased weakness primarily LLE. waiting for follow up appt a month away. worried this might get worse. Any ideas as to why the persistent foot deficit? what can be done?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The persistent weakness in the foot muscles can be due to post traumatic stiffness. A nerve involvement is not necessary.
Most of the times, such weakness improves on regular hot fomentation, massage and physiotherapy. Adding methylcobalamin supplements regularly to your diet will also be helpful.
A nerve conduction test of the leg and foot will help in identifying any neural deficit. If there is no muscle wasting in the area then full recovery with appropriate physiotherapy is likely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor