Having fissures between labia minora and the labia majora. What is the cure?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I am a 19 year old female who has suffered from fissures between the labia minora and the labia majora for about 6 years. They come and go with no rhyme or reason! I became sexually active at 18 and contracted chlamydia from him. I have had three other partners since him (one was a virgin, one was my best friend, and the most recent is my boyfriend). After my first boyfriend I was tested for everything frankly because who knows what else he had! All my results came back negative. I switched OB/GYN offices recently. I just recovered from an unpleasant yeast infection and noticed the fissures came back. They are almost healed, but I called the office to see if I was treating it properly. She seemed to think it was herpes, so I saw her today. She took a swab and I'm now waiting on my lab results. I know because I've had this before that it isn't herpes, but what she said got in my head and now I can't stop worrying. I know my boyfriend and the virgin were clean (obviously!), and I am almost certain my best friend was too. I am just so nervous about these tests and need some answers because I didn't feel like I've been helped at all recently! These are just small paper cut looking lines. There are no blisters or sores anywhere! I have no symptoms of herpes except the opening (which went away when I applied monistat). She said yeast didn't cause fissures, so I don't know what to think now! HELP!!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Herpes causes ulcers and not fissures! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the fissures that you have been suffering from the most recent troubling thoughts of a herpes infection. The longstanding nature of these fissures before you ever became sexually active and its description which is not typical of herpes makes me to think it is most likely not a herpes infection. I am happy a test sample was collected and the results would be back to clear the doubts. Herpes presents with recurrent painful ulcers that have a clean base and do not produce any pus. The fact that you have had serious yeast infections might offer a clue as to why you have fissures now. yeast infection all by themselves don't cause fissures but the itching associated with this and the resulting urge to scratch often causes scratch marks that can progress to become a fissure. If you have been having recurrent yeast infections, please talk with your doctor to look for the underlying promoting factors and address them so that you can get stop having repeated episodes. Diabetes is one of the common causes of recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Stay relaxed and be calm. Herpes infection is quite common and it is never life threatening even if that were to be the case. We are ready to address whatever the cause is and get you going to enjoy a quasi symptom free life. Keep me updated as the results come back. I hope this helps and relieves you of your worries. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to request for more information if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 minutes later
I really don't understand why she mentioned herpes in the first place. I have freaked myself out with the thought of it, as well as online research where it says uncommon signs of herpes are fissures and cracks. I am anxious to see my lab results still for some reason. Of course, I do have anxiety problems. The cuts do not hurt. They are tender and sting a little, but they do not ooze or pus. They hardly bleed (only if I'm drying off). What are some potential causes for them? They are almost like scars. I can always see the lines they appear on, but they only open up occasionally.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 35 hours later
Brief Answer: Not Herpes Detailed Answer: Fissures and cracks are very rare presenting forms of herpes. it would be very unlikely in this case and i still stand by the fact that this is not herpes until proven otherwise. Let's see what the lab says! Dry skin is prone to fissures and cracks. Also, candida is a more likely cause of such by itself and because of scratching than herpes. These are more likely than herpes. Hope this helps. i wish you well. feel free to keep the discussion going if need be. Thanks for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD