Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Having fibromyalgia, depression and eye pain. Did some tests. What does the result says?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I'm having a horrible time with pain from fibromyalgia and depression. Also, I've stopped producing tears and am having severe eye pain. Today I got back a few test results that I was wanting some input on, want to know how they could be affecting me.
Vitamin d 25 Hydroxy result 20.4ng/ml (normal 30-100)
Prolactin result 23.8ng/ml (normal 4.8-23)
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin d 25 Hydroxy low, prolactine Ok.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Vitamin D Hyroxy results indicate levels lower than normal. This is one of the enzymes that helps in the reabsorption of Calcium into the body. It is produced at the level of the kidneys. I would suggest to measure the levels of Calcium in Blood and have kidney and liver function tests done, to know if there is a problem with the liver or not. This shall help in monitoring the treatment or altering drugs you are taking. Calcium supplementation can be required to compensate for the low levels at some point.

Prolactin Results just slightly above the upper limit is no problem. A difference of 0.8 is not clinically significant. It might useful however to get this test done again, after a couple of months.

Persistent pains from fibromyalgia and depression might require that another treatment approach be used and followed up. With such patients, I usually control their Erythrocyte sedimentation rate levels. If very high, I increase the dose of steroid therapy, monitor and tapper the dose to lower levels gradually as symptoms usually improve. Adding another Tricyciclic anti depressant to the treatment regimen could help. Exercise and physiotherapy are options to be thought of in case pain persists.

I do suggest you consult your doctor for a complete clinical review. A psychiatrist,s opinion with regards to depression care is a good idea at some point. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health. Feel free asking further questions if need be, I will glad to contribute to your good health.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor