Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Having excessive gagging. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
I have been having excessive gagging ,it happend when I brush my teeth,flossing, it has even happen while I was at the dentist, I can even goggle without gagging.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. A gag reflex is a protective reflex for the airway.

2. There is no specific treatment for a hyperactive gag reflex.

3. If this is a recent onset overactive gag reflex, acid reflux, allergy and / or a post nasal drip of phlegm may make the tongue and throat more sensitive.

4. Diabetes and hypertension may also cause nerve damage in the long run, leading to an excessive gag. Stress worsens the symptoms.

5. You may attempt to de-sensitise the trigger areas in the oral cavity by progressively longer stimulation with a tongue cleaner brush.

6. Relaxation, breathing through your nose, local anesthetic mouth washes, and voluntary suppression will help reduce the gag reflex.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor