Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Having enlarged spleen and suffering from hives. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3613 Questions
my son has an enlarged spleen because of mono. He is breaking in hives. what do i do?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Mono needs monitoring, hives need work up 4 strept Detailed Answer: hello there! Thank you for asking. i read your query and your concern about the infectious Mono and the results of it that is splenomegaly and Hives/ urticaria which needs management. I want you to know that All your kid needs is a close eye monitoring for His airways as they are predisposed to be compromised because of tonsillar enlargement and if needed steroids would be required to keep them patent. Spleen will come back to normal in 3 weeks after mono is gone. So mean while the only care for spleen you need to reassure is the rest and avoidance of any activity which can result in spleen rupture. Remember splenomegaly in Mono is innocuous and self resolving but spleen rupture is lethal and Ignorance and negligence can easily cause that. Stay in touch with infectious disease specialist, a hematologist for keen eye on the kids blood profile, a neurologist for neurological manifestations, and a gastroenterologist for managing virus induced gallbladder and liver infection. And last but not the least the Hives you mentioned they might be maculopapular rash Which is very common if Infectious mono is accompanied by Group A strept infections of the throat, So have that assessed. If ruled out all the hives would need will be some antihistamines and steroids. good Luck and let your kid rest and digest completely for minimum of 3 weeks. Hope i was of some help. if you have any more queries please feel free to ask, other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Take some very good care of your kid. May the Odds be ever in your favour. Good Luck Dr. S Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor