Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Having electric shock pain in arm. Have bulging and herniated discs in the neck. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
have been having electric shock pain down left arm,it usually goes away when i shake the arm and put pressure on thumb. It also goes away when i take a flexiril.Tonight it seems to be lingering on and is painful.I must tell you that i have bulging and herniated discs in neck and down spine.I have been on disability or many years.I am nort short of breath and BP is normal
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query in detail. It is all due to your bulging and herniated discs in the neck or in short due to Cervical Spondylosis and Prolapsed Inter Vertebral Disc.
When the bulge disc compresses your nerve you feel pain. Along with the best treatment we have to follow certain precautions to reduce the symptoms caused by this disease.
1. Use hard bed, avoid pillow or use thin pillow.
2. Your sitting posture should be straight.
3. Avoid all jerky movements of neck including riding bicycle or motorcycle.
4. You can take anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants drugs orally or can apply gel locally to reduce pain.
5. Wear cervical collar for at-least 8 hours per day.
6. Regularly change the posture of the neck while working or sitting.
7. Do regular exercise and physiotherapy as advised by your physiotherapist.

A decision can be made to perform surgery in future. Surgery is performed in the patients who do not respond to the other medical therapy. The best treatment can planned under the guidance of spine surgery keeping in mind the disability you have. Feel free to consult your doctor for best and better treatment.
Best Wishes and have a pain less and symptoms free spine.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor