Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Having ear pain and bleeding after head injury. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2105 Questions
My daughter woke up screaming in the middle of the night a week ago for 3 hours straight saying her ear hurt then the next morning I noticed blood coming out of her ear and continued for 3 days straight then lighter fluids after. What is going on with my 3 year old?
My older daughter hit her in the head
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for writing yor query.

Bleeding from ears after head injury can be due to basillar fracture in the skull.
Light coloured fluids can be cerebrospinal fluids.

It is a serious condition and needs urgent medical attention.
She should have a non-contrast CT scan of her head immeditely to see the fracture.

I would suggest that you should take her to the Emergency Department and get her examined clinically by a Neurosurgeon.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any furthur query, I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having ear pain and bleeding after head injury. What treatment should be done? 5 hours later
Could it be possible that she may of ruptured her ear drum? I was doing alittle reading about that last night too. She has not been acting any different since the incident. My other daughter is 2 years older than her.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for your response.

It appears that she has had some trauma to the ear. Your daughter may also complain of hearing difficulty and pain if she has had a ruptured eardrum. However clinical examination by an Otoscope will be helpful to confirm the type of trauma.

If she is not behaving abnormally or there is no episode of vomiting, there are less chances of XXXXXXX brain injury.

I would urge you to visit a qualified ENT surgeon for detailed otoscopic examination. A course of antibiotic is entailed.

In the interim, keep the ear dry and clean. Do not use any ear drops.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor