Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Having ear infection. Is it safe to travel in flight? Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 332 Questions
hi! am a 25 year old girl who have had ear problems my whole life. today i woke up with an ear infection, and my symptoms( as I know them) it might be in the middle ear, or the actual eardrum... I am on holiday in Malta and are flying out in a few hours so dont have the possibility to see a doctor.. any advice for my flight, or even antibiotics that i might not need a prescription for?
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of information provided it appears that you have a disease of middle ear involving your ear drum (long history and infection in ear). Possibly you may be having a perforation of ear drum. It presents with off and on ear discharge, gradually progressive hearing loss and off and on pain in ear. It is called as chronic suppurative otitis media (infection of middle ear for a longer duration).The history of recurrent sinus infections is also suggestive of the diagnosis of sinuses. tonsils or throat.

I would suggest you to start antibiotic ear drops and a antiallergic (cetrixzine or fexofenadine) for the time being. In case you have pain in ear you may consider taking a analgesics and antiinflammatory drug.
Avoid entry of water or oil in the ear canal

This advise is based on the history you have given. This cannot be a replacement of ENT consultation. The treatment will require
1. Treating sinus infection - may require a X XXXXXX for sinuses, medical treatment and minor surgery to improve ventilation of sinuses
2. Treating Ear - may require keeping the ear dry, audiometry and considering surgical intervention (after acute infection is treated)

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if your need more information on this

With warm regards

Ravinder Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor