Having dull pain on right side near rib cage. Passing less urine than normal. What should I do?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a dull pain on right side near the rib cage also it seems I am passing less urine than normal.I saw my dr about a week ago and he said I had a similar problem a while ago .,went to er and had a ct. nothing showed and was told to wait it out.I now have this pain for about 1 week
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dull pain near the rib case,less urine,ct nothing. Detailed Answer: Hi, Causes of such pain could be related to : - infection of urinary tract = can do urine analysis, culture and sensitivity. - some problems to gall bladder and associated pathways can also cause such pain - intestinal problems (large bowel movement changes) = constipation I'd suggest: - to drink more water - eat foods XXXXXXX in fiber - avoid foods that can stimulate urinary tract (caffeine, alcohol, energetic drinks, citrus) - take buscopan or spasmex for the pain - take zinc and magnesium citrate salts to improve the pH of urine. - I understand your age, but walking or other tolerable physical activity could also help. Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more questions, feel free to write to me again! I'd be happy to answer to you again. Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
I keep thinking it is more serious like kidney failuresince I am passing less urine
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Blood work to confirm/exclude kidney failure. Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Thank you for writing back. There are many factors that are associated with passing less urine before considering a kidney failure: - little water consumption - kidney or urinary tract infection Next, to confirm such disease, ct-scan could possible shown some changes, but everything was normal according to your reports. In addition, you can do some blood work to evaluate the kidney function such as - BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine levels, - glomerular filtration rate, together with - electrolyte levels in blood - urine analysis If they all are ok together with abdominal echo, then, it is not related to kidney failure. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have more concerns, do not hesitate to write back to me! Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj