Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having dull pain on right side near rib cage. Passing less urine than normal. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4855 Questions
I have a dull pain on right side near the rib cage also it seems I am passing less urine than normal.I saw my dr about a week ago and he said I had a similar problem a while ago .,went to er and had a ct. nothing showed and was told to wait it out.I now have this pain for about 1 week
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dull pain near the rib case,less urine,ct nothing. Detailed Answer: Hi, Causes of such pain could be related to : - infection of urinary tract = can do urine analysis, culture and sensitivity. - some problems to gall bladder and associated pathways can also cause such pain - intestinal problems (large bowel movement changes) = constipation I'd suggest: - to drink more water - eat foods XXXXXXX in fiber - avoid foods that can stimulate urinary tract (caffeine, alcohol, energetic drinks, citrus) - take buscopan or spasmex for the pain - take zinc and magnesium citrate salts to improve the pH of urine. - I understand your age, but walking or other tolerable physical activity could also help. Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more questions, feel free to write to me again! I'd be happy to answer to you again. Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having dull pain on right side near rib cage. Passing less urine than normal. What should I do? 1 hour later
I keep thinking it is more serious like kidney failuresince I am passing less urine
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Blood work to confirm/exclude kidney failure. Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Thank you for writing back. There are many factors that are associated with passing less urine before considering a kidney failure: - little water consumption - kidney or urinary tract infection Next, to confirm such disease, ct-scan could possible shown some changes, but everything was normal according to your reports. In addition, you can do some blood work to evaluate the kidney function such as - BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine levels, - glomerular filtration rate, together with - electrolyte levels in blood - urine analysis If they all are ok together with abdominal echo, then, it is not related to kidney failure. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have more concerns, do not hesitate to write back to me! Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor