Having dull pain in calf and shortness of breath. Reason?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: dull pain in my calf, definitely swollen, pain has gotten slowly worse...and i feel shortness of breath
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
Well, I am afraid it could be as benign as muscle pull but your symptom of shortness of breath makes me concerned. There is classical triad
1. Tenderness (Pain on pressure in calf muscle)
2: Swelling (you have that)
3. Shortness of breath

If you are overweight, not much prone to exercise, is in stationary job. It is right time to suspect and exclude XXXXXXX Vein Thrombosis. An ultrasonographic examination of leg can do the job- in some cases scan may be needed. At times clinical examination supplements it. Chest x-ray, though mandatory is going to be normal. As I said to exclude it. Once your doctor feels this is not the diagnosis we all be happy for you for we are left with much milder conditions left. Do write to me please.
I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW