Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Having dull abdominal pain. Removed scar from ovary by surgery. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1583 Questions
Abdominal pain by right hip bone. Previous tests have ruled out appendicitis or ascending colon issues, and laparotomy 3 months ago ago removed scar tissue on right ovary from previous surgery. Pain is dull and aching at rest, made worse by activity. When pressed, area is very tender and sharp shooting pain. Not sure where to go next, as GI doc and OBGYN can't find anything in blood work or procedures.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

The persistent abdominal pain is due to both Gynecological causes(Endometriosis, ovarian cyst) and previous surgery.

All this produce chronic inflammation in the pelvic area and cause adhesion in the area. This adhesions produce chronic pain.

It pain is dull aching in nature and is likely from other cause like Musculoskeletal pain(Arthritis of the hip joint, spine related problems).

You can go for MRI of the abdomen and spine to find other causes.

You may need to consult a surgeon for abdominal pain evaluation and an Orthopedician for musculoskeletal issues.

Hypothyroidism causes decrease in the bowel movement which causes constipation. This may also cause similar type of pain.
So you may need to test your Thyroid function test and see if you need any dose adjustment of thyroxine.

Chronic abdominal pain rarely in your age may be caused by malignancies.
Consult your doctor for screening by doing Cancer marker tests.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor