Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having dry patches and itching on penis. Is it yeast or fungal infection or something else?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I commented on here last week and received some really good feedback, but heres where I am now: The skin on my penis has been bothering me for just over 2 weeks now. It started out itchy and dry patches and the dryness eventually covered the whole penis. When erect it looks as if the skin is burnt because it is very tight and very shiny, and just burnt looking. When I am not erect the skin is very loose and saggy. The itching was horrible for a while and I believe that I have that part of it under control (somewhat) with the monistat 7 I have been using. I was hoping that this would be healed completely by now with no luck. I have held back from intercourse for the last few weeks, but was involved last night and during and after it was very painful. Protection was used. When washing up I noticed dry sking looking cracks as if your lips were very chapped and cracking. If I pull my skin hard enough (which I refrain from doing) the skin of the penis will crack and sting. Today I bought some tea tree oil and will begin to try that. I also have an appt with my physician, but that will not be until Mon. morning. This is becoming very aggrivating and has me worried that there is the possibilty that it may be something other than some sort of yeast or fungal infection. A good answer will be much appreciated and any remedies would be as well. I really need this cleared up ASAP! Thankyou
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physicians!
There are two prominent possibilities-
Dermatitis- it may be due to contact with Condom-latex allergy, or anything you have started using newly like soap, dusting powder, oil, body spray etc.
Try to find out if the problem started with using any of them.
Stop using them.

Another possibility is Infection.
I would advise you to review to your physician who would get a Gram stain and KOH mount exam of the scrapings from penis lesions.
Treatment would certainly be needed.
Antiallergics like levocetirizine would be immensely helpful, Local antifungal, antibiotic and topical steroid combination would also be needed.
Meanwhile you need to keep great local hygiene.
Wash the area twice a day and make it fully dry with towels and warm air flow before applying the combination cream.
I think the things would settle in 15 day's treatment.
I think the advise would be helpful for you.

If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.

And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to post your view in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor