Having double and blurry vision. Could this be the side effects of Topamax?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Yesterday I was having a lot of blurry, double vision in my one eye---my one co-worker said that my eye looked droopy or tired--I didn't see that--but I was having trouble seeing my computer--the words were blurry. in the past I have had migraines--my neurologist had placed me on meds---recently one on my night meds was changed--I am not on Topomox (spelling???) I was only on it for about a week when i needed to increase it from 25 to 50 mg--well my body didn't see to like it--this past Monday I was very dizzy--I called my doctor and he told me to take the dosage back down to 25 so I did--and yesterday is when I woke up with vision from hell--even nowI'm having a hard time seeing what i type with my left eye---not sure what was going on last night but when I would open my eyes I would see weird lights and shapes….at this point I don't have a migraine--I have a little numbness in my cheek on my left side of my face--and on the right side of my head it feels like someone is stabbing my head with a knife. my question would be could this a reaction to the medication still in my system or should I go to the ER?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have to consult your doctor. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic It seems from the history that you are on treatment with Topiramate ( TOPAMOX) for chronic migraine. Topiramate is used for treatment of epilepsy and also commonly used as a prophylactic treatment to prevent recurrences of migraine attacks. Topiramate is known to cause few adverse effects or side effects like dizziness, fatigue, double vision, diminution of vision, numbness, tingling sensation, loss of weight.... The symptoms which you have mentioned in the history are seen in adverse effects of the drug Topamox. These adverse effects are dose dependent. Hence first thing to be done is o stop the drug and since the adverse effects are seeming to be serious you have to visit doctor at ER(EMERGENCY ROOM). Hope I have answered your query. Thank you.