Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Having diverticulitis. Suggest

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
I have diverticulitis and find im not doing to well I must be doing something wrong as im back to the same problem going to the toilet all the time am I eating the wrong food
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diet among many things that need to be controlled Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Yes ma'am, you are quite right. Conditions like diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, etc; all require a very well monitored and specific diet. I shall list the most common food items that usually result in a recurrence or irritation of the colon, they are: -Tea -Coffee -Caffeine -Sugar containing drinks -Carbonated drinks -Popcorn -Oily/fatty/fried food -Chocolates -Dairy products -Gluten products -Alcohol And many others, which are individual-specific (i.e. might cause irritation in some individuals, but not in others). I shall also go ahead and list other suggestions advised to individuals diagnosed with diverticulitis, they are: -Increase fiber in diet -Exercise regularly (mild exercises like walking for 15-30 minutes) -Drink plenty of water (avoid sugar containing drinks) -Do not hesitate or avoid visiting the toilet whenever you feel the need to, as this is also considered healthy, and not responding only further irritates the colon -Add probiotics to your diet on a daily basis I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor