Having diarrhoea and noticed mucus in stool. How to get cured?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Have a congestion feeling just below the right side of rib cage from last 12 days. Too uncomfortable. Slight diarrhoea from two days. Slight mucous too in stool.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such feeling in the right upper abdomen can be caused by gallstones, peptic ulcers, pancreas disease. Gallstones gives also nausea, sometimes pain radiating to the back. Peptic ulcers gives pains or/and nausea, chest burning after 2 hours of a meal.
Some liver lumps can also give such symptoms (usually abscesses, however this is rare). Diarrhea and mucus in stool can be associated mostly with pancreas disease, or it can be caused by something else.
It is advisable for you to have some diagnostics. You should start with abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), pancreas enzymes (amylase), bilirubin level, urine analysis. If no findings in this tests, upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy should be performed as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.