Having diarrhea with blood and mucus. Scan showed ovarian cyst. Worried about ovarian cancer?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: Hi. I am a 56 yo post-menopausal woman. Had my last menses 6 years ago. Since end-September 2012, I had an attack of spasms and bloody stools while attending a baptisimal dinner. I was confined to a restaurant's bathroom for approximately 2 hrs. before I could leave. I had gas pains that started in the upper left quandrant spasming with no bm until hours later with the end result being bloody loose bm's. Went to gastro doctor who did sigmoidoscopy that was normal. Was on Nexium for 15+ years and have multiple fundal gland polyps. Recently stopped Nexium cold XXXXXXX due to recent gastric distress. Although no more bloody bm's, over 2+ months later still experiencing gastric distress. Unable to eat. Have lost 15+ lbs. Gastro doctor thinks I had infectious colitis (RX: Cipro) that went into IBS. Am experiencing mucous bm's with spasms alternating constipation and diaahrea. Had abdominal sono done that came back normal. I am taking Bentyl 1xday and Gaviscon 30 mins. before meals. Recent concern is that approximately 5 years ago while gingo through menopause was diagnosed with Simple Hyperplasia after D&C. Too much estrogen...too little progesterone. Have yearly transvaginal sonos that show normal endometrial lining. Problem now is my recent transvaginal sono shows I have a 9mm ovarian cyst. Will make another appointment next week to see GYN doctor again to go over test results. Should I be worried about Ovarian Cancer? What should be my next steps? CA 125 test ... hormone level test ... second opinion? I am experiencing pain pelvis when I have my spasms.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I am a little concerned about the bloody stools
you had. It is possible to have an infection and
have diarrhea with blood and mucus, but you
cannot conclude that the colon was fine because
of a negative sigmoidoscopy. The examination
is limited and only covers about the lower portion
of the colon. You do need a toatal colon examination
considering your age. Bentyl is helpful to reduce
the spasms of the stomach and intestines , but
it does have side effects as well. Dry mouth, constipation,
blurred vision etc.
If you don't need it you shouldn't be on it.
As for ovarian problem, your gynecologist is better
qualified to answer your concerns.
Wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply but I am concerned that my pain could be GYN related & not IBS. I hv had this problem with colitis type bleeding in past. due for coloniacopy next year. Could a GYN review my case? How concerned should I be abt a 9mm ovarian cyst on my right ovary as A 56 yo post-menopausal woman. I hv had cysts on/off while being menopausal. Had a baseball size vaginal cyst removed when I was pregnant with my 1st child 34 yrs ago. Was benign & never came back. Doc said I was prob born w/ it. I hv 2 children. Vaginal births. Very worried abt pelvic sono resuls. Doc didn't even call me w/ results. I called the office, never spoke to doctor. Was told by office everything was OK. Only saw I hv 9mm right ovary cyst when I got results in mail. Feel doc shld hv called me re: follow-up. Will try 2 c doc Tues. if I can get an appt.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello,XXXXXXX,
I can understand your concern. 9mm. ovarian cyst
is very small to have any significant effect on the
surrounding organs. Concerns with cysts are infection
and rupture. But these are usually associated with much
larger cysts, more than 2cm. in size.
But I am sure your gynecologist would advice you
properly.
I wish you good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Thank you again. I will follow-up with GYN, hopefully, on Tuesday. I am getting pelvic pain and cramping after eating something and at other times throughout the day. Could these be IBS related as well even though they are pelvic pains? Are ovarian cysts common in post-menopausal women? Can they rupture on their own even though I am post-menopausal and do not ovulate?
Hello, XXXXXXX,
IBS and a condition called "Pelvic Floor Pain"
are sometimes associated. It is the heightened
sensitivity to contractions of the intestine and
also increased response to gas distension.
As for the ovarian cysts, your gynecologist
is most qualified to answer.
Wish you well.