Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Having dent and swelling on thigh. Any ideas what is causing this? Chances of blood clot?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
I too have a dent about 1cm XXXXXXX and an inch wide on my upper, outer left thigh and there is swelling below it that looks as though it could fill the dent about perfectly. I'm in no pain, no tingling in my leg or anything else. No warm feeling when I touch, not sore in any way. In fact the only symptom is the dent and swelling directly below it. Any ideas.

P.S. I do sit a whole lot, so I was afraid of the chances this might be a blood clot. But I do walk around every couple of hours, and I run at least 2 times a week, but I'm still just a little scared.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 16 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

The symptoms are quite confusing. You have a dent in the upper outer thigh which is not painful and has no neurological deficit distal to it. The swelling below this is also not painful/warm to touch and mobile I suppose.

Let me assure you that it seems just an incidental finding to me. The upper thigh is full of musculature with intervening fat, nerves, blood vessels, all surrounded over the Femur. Any such superficial dent can mean a tear of either the muscle fibers (though partial) or loss of superficial fat. And that can be really painful. The swelling just below can be a simple lipoma or a neurofibroma. Again nothing to worry about.

It's less likely to be a clot, otherwise you would notice change in the skin color and gradual reduction in its size. And again clots are painful too. Besides there is nothing that can dislocate and dislodge elsewhere in upper thigh.

So if it's not affecting your routine you should conveniently ignore it. But if it bothers you so, get it examined by your physician and get investigations like an x XXXXXXX and sonography to establish a diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query. For any further help I'm available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor