Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Having crushing pain in chest. Have heart disease. Take spirolactone. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
Last 2 nights if I lay on my right or left side in bed I get a almost crushing pain in my chest. When I set up or lay on my back it subsides. I do have heart desease and take spirolactone for fluid around the heart.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reevaluation, X XXXXXXX Cardiac ultrasound, ECG

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is not uncommon to experience such discomfort, especially in patients witha history of hypertension and a heart attack. When this is experienced however, a careful evaluation is needed. This is most of the time an indication of heart failure. Heart failure is usually accompanied by accumulation of fluid in the lungs, the renders respiration difficult and could lead to night coughing especially when one lies down.

Your drug list is complete to avoid such complications. However, when it happens, this could be explained maybe by an aggravating condition like an infection or a neglected or unknown cardiac event. It is important an imperative to get a consultation from your cardiologist, or at least, your family physician.

A chest X XXXXXXX to evaluate the size of the heart at this point in time, the state of the lungs and a cardiac ultrasound for cardiac function are important. An ECG could also be asked to exclude any possible ischemic (low oxygen related )cardiac event. An infectious process needs to be excluded also first.

My suggestion is an urgent consultation with your cardiologist or a reevaluation from your family care doctor. Readjustment of the drugs at times could be sufficient to get things done. Thanks and hope this helps. Wishing you good health. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you got specific concerns. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor