Having cold, sore throat and runny nose. Not feeling fatigued. Any suggestion?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have had a cold for 9 days now. Started with a sore throat that lasted 4 days, then a bit of a runny/congested nose and now a tickle in my throat with a cough and I'm hoarse! Someines i will cough a tiny anount Of phlem but not often. cough is worse at night when im trying to fall asleep. How long can this go on!!! Never a fever and not really a yucky all over feeling and not feeling fatigued. Just very annoyed with the symptoms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 29 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query .
According to your description your symptoms do resemble to most probably a viral / upper pharyngitis .
Most viral infections usually resolve on their own in a couple of weeks , though the cough may persist for about 15 days from onset.
Since you have no fever or malaise it doesn't seem to be worsening and should resolve within a week from now.
For symptomatic relief you can try the following,
1. Warm salt water or betadene gargles thrice daily.
2. Steam inhalations thrice daily or using a humidifier in your room.
3. Over the counter decongestant and antihistamine cough suppressants containing , cetrizine etc may help with night time irritating cough.
4.Drinking plenty of fluids , Multivitamin and zinc( 20 milligram ) supplements daily help in a faster recovery.
5. If still the symptoms persist or worsen you need to consult your doctor for confirming the cause and prescribing a course of Antibiotics .

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery .