Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Having chronic pain above the ear on head. What is the reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
Hello, I am having chronic pain above the ear on right side of head. This pain lasts for few seconds.
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Before I respond to your question, let me explain you that the causes of headache are so many like migraine, tension headache, brain infection, tumour of the brain and problem in the blood vessels of the brain. Rarely, there are few patients who can have headache alone (mainly short lasting) as a part of manifestation of seizure.

Back to you, the possibilities in your case could be tension headache and/or a remote possibility of any structural lesion of brain in the side where you have pain.
I advise you to get evaluated by a local neurologist who will guide you through clinical evaluation and investigations like MRI scan of the brain and electroencephalogram (a test which maps the brain function and also can tell you if there are seizures). These evaluation and investigations will clinch the diagnosis so that management becomes easy. Please note that i strongly recommend you for these evaluation as well as investigations as there is no role of empirical treatment in the current era of modern medicine

I hope that i have clarified your query,
Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in this regard
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor