Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Having chondromalacia patella in both knees, overweight. Need advice on exercises for pain management

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 20 Questions

my self XXXXXXX from jamnagar, having problem of chondromalacia patella problem in both of my knees, my age is 32 and weight is 101kg my hight is 6feet 2inch, basically i am a table tennis player and want to continue playing,some of the top players having the same problem are also playing,presently some sounds are also coming from both of my knees, if i dont play, i dont feel the pain, but as a sportsman i can not discontinue playing,i know some excersises for management of pain but they are not very help ful please suggest....
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 4 hours later

Many thanks for sending your query.

First of all, your BMI is too high 28.6 (if your height of 6ft 2 inch is correct); that will put too much extra load on both the patellas. Your ideal weight should never be more than 85 kg. Tennis puts lots of load on Patella, more so when you are overweight.

Secondly, CMP (chondromalacia patella) is often overdiagnosed and you need to be examined by a good Knee Joint Surgeon for correct diagnosis.

A good exercise program is always 1st line of treatment suggested and that should be continued for alteast 3-6 months before going for 2nd line of treatment. However, correct exercise program can only be advised after proper clincial diagnosis, X-ray reports and MRI scan.

In summary if the diagnosis is correct, I suggest you follow the exercise program regularly and indefinitely as by any knee surgeon and follow up with him regularly. Depending on the progress we can decide the need for arthroscopy. You can also XXXXXXX me if you do not find a specific knee surgeon in your area.

I hope this helps.

Have a healthy tennis play!!!

Dr Deepak Goyal
Consultant Knee Joint Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having chondromalacia patella in both knees, overweight. Need advice on exercises for pain management 1 hour later
respected Dr XXXXXXX

in addition to my earlier mail, i am having this problem from the age of 16, at that time local orthopedic surgeon diagnosed the same as chondromalacia patella, secondly game i am playing is table tennis, not tennis...., if you suggest any test to be done ( i.e. mri or xrays ) i will get it done and will send you reports through courier or will upload the same on this website.

reason to approach you is that i am not getting proper treatment here in jamnagar, secondly as this is a cartilage related issue, i have heard that glucamine kind of medicine can act as a lubricant , will it help ??? or will you suggest ????

will it result in serious injury if i continue playing ???, then again question arise that top pro players , get this kind of sports injury will that end their career.

please suggest
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 16 hours later

Yes, I meant table tennis and not tennis.

Glucosamine has doubtful role. It is always better if you could get magnetic resonant scan on 3 Tesla machine because that shows cartilage nicely and not 1.5 tesla.

It is not available in Jamnagar as far I know. Ahmedabad has it. I would like to see the complete scan and X-ray of both knee joint AP WB/ Lat and PS views. Clinical examination is equally or more important.

Comparing with top players, they usually do not neglect such injuries and travel any distance to get cured as early as possible. They usually undergo suggested treatment immediately to get problem solved at early age.

Hope this helps

Dr Deepak Goyal
Consultant Knee Joint Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having chondromalacia patella in both knees, overweight. Need advice on exercises for pain management 26 hours later

ok, one of my friend mr XXXXXXX ( XXXXXXX radiologist in ahmedabad ) he will help me to get it done ( mri and x rays ) ,or any particular institute reports on which you relay, any thing you would like to tell radiologist ( i.e for test or angle in your medical terminology ) please let me know, i will get it done in less then fifteen days, after the reports come how should i approach you ??, ( i mean should i visit or upload the same on this website ? ),i would appreciate if you share your email id with me, i will never disturb you but i need a way to communicate once i get it done all the tests....

secondly meanwhile if you can suggest some medicine which helps my knee cartilage in healthy condition please suggest ......

regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 46 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
My email address is YYYY@YYYY . You can contact me here or you can visit me as you already have booked an appointment.
Further, no medication can be advised without examining you and seeing all the reports.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor