Having cholesterol level 238. Meaning? How to control?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, i am 42 yrs old .My cholesterol level is around 238 ; LDL is 117 ; HDL is 42 and triglycerides is 344.How do i get my cholesterol under control
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have positive family history of diabetes?
Do you have positive family history of early heart disease? (Early heart disease is considered in female <65 years and in male <55 years).
Do you have an active or sedentary life?
Are you a smoker and an alcoholic?

Treatment of Dyslipidemia (deranged lipid profile) is decided by presence / absence of risk factors.
Smoking, age > 45 years, sedentary life, first degree relative with positive early heart disease 140/90 mm Hg, Diabetes are considered as risk factors.
Treatment of Dyslipidemia is decided by LDL level and should read ATP III guidelines.
If < 2 risk factors are present then LDL should be < 160 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is <20% then LDL should be <130 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is >20%, diabetes then LDL should be <100 mg%.
You can download calculator from following site: WWW.WWWW.WW For very high risk patients and diabetic patients, LDL should be < 70 mg%.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should go for thorough check up.

Life style modifications are required in your case.
You should take low fat diet and live physically active life.
You should continue brisk exercise 30 minutes per day, at least 5 days in a week.

Although LDL level appears to be low, but serum cholesterol level is high and you should take statins under guidance of your treating doctor.
You should remain in touch with your treating doctor with regular follow up.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 36 minutes later
no positive history of diabetes in my family.In fact i have done my Blood sugar test and all are in normal range.No positive family history of early heart disease.
Have alcohol (beer) once a week and smoke 1-2 cigarettes a day.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later
You should try to quit smoking.
You have only one risk factor (smoking) and your LDL must remain below 160 mg%.
Your LDL is 117 and as such there is no need of statins; but your cholesterol is high and it should remain below 200 mg%.
You should take statins under guidance of your treating doctor.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava