Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Having chest pain when swallow food with sensation in spine. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
For the last 4 days, my friend, who is a girl, has been having pain in her lower chest whenever she swallows especially cooked food and hot drinks. She says she also gets a sensation in the upper part of her spine. Can you please advise what it could be?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 54 minutes later

I haven’t heard of any condition which can directly cause this pain in the spine. However pain in the upper chest following food and hot drinks can be related to reflux oesophagitis. Here the contents of stomach regurgitates back into the food pipe leading to irritation and pain.

I would suggest her to try proton pump inhibitors (PPI) drug along with antacid for couple of weeks and see for her response. Omeprazole (PPI) and Syp Mucaine gel is available over the counter at most places. You can check with your pharmacist to know more about it.

In addition, a healthy life style consisting of brief morning exercise, regular food, restricting spicy food / beverages and timely sleep can be beneficial. Gastroscopy also known as upper GI endoscopy can be useful test to confirm the possibility. The test will be performed at a gastroenterologist's office. You can suggest her to get this test done if symptoms do not improve in 2 weeks time.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor