Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Having chest pain and high heart rate. Family history of IHSS. Any suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2254 Questions
I have been having chest pain for the last two years on & off. Sometimes at rest but mostly briught on by movement. Sex, waling, walking up a hill etc. the last couole months it has seemed to get worse. We go hunting & sometimes im out of breath at 100 yards sometumes more with chest pain. Dull achy pressure feeling. No stabbing. I have also experienced a couple timea lately gasping for air, just while sitting. No wheezing. Yesterday it happened again. And i had chest pain pretty bad all weekend. I had chest pain theiughout the night. We checked my bp, i have a cuff bc my doctor thinks its too low sometimes and i go to certain climates occasionally where he has me bring it incase. I normally fall 90/60 and sometimes over 50. Yesterday eveninv it got as high as 147/90 and stayed at 137/89 for a couple hours. My face also was heated and flushed. My husband noticed my hands tremoring which i could feel throughout my body. My mother died at 35 from ihss. My gramdfather died at 60 from ihss. And uncle diagnosed with it at 25. I have a high heart rate abd have been on atenolol for about 8 years.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible ischemic heart disease or IHSS,consult cardiologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Your clinic is typically referring to an ischemic disease of the heart or IHSS (idiopathic hipertrofic subvalvular stenosis = hypertrophic cardiomiopathy). I strongly suggest to go immediately and consult a cardiologist and to run cardiac Echo and ECG. If no IHSS, then, I suggest stress test to exclude ischemic disease. Hope it helped! p.s. if you have more concerns, do not hesitate to contact me again! But, first, I strongly suggest to consult a cardiologist as soon as possible. Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having chest pain and high heart rate. Family history of IHSS. Any suggestions? 1 hour later
I am still not feeling very hot now that I'm up and about. My bp started out low 90/60 range and has went up to 146/83 this morning highest but staying around 135/78 range. I'm afraid to go to the ER bc I don't think they will think that's high enough. I feel like kinda like my breasts r being squeezed together that kind of pressure. My cardiologist is booked for a month for echos. ??? What so you suggest now
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestion below... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for giving more descriptions on your current medical condition. At this point, I'd recommend to go to ER immediately. The doctors there will take you seriously because: - you have chest pain - you have difficulty in breathing - you have a familiar history of cardiac death. Every experienced ER doctor would ask a consultation with a cardiologist and do ECG, cardiac echo, X-ray, troponine level. Also there is another possibility to check your heart for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy; Cardiac Magnetic Resonance. Hope it answered to your questions! If you have further concerns, do not hesitate to write me back! I'd be happy to assist you. Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having chest pain and high heart rate. Family history of IHSS. Any suggestions? 16 hours later
I went to the ER. My face ended up going numb & remained numb fof a bout an hour yesterday. Scared me! It was tight fwwling for a couple hours adter. My BP was 150/82. They said that was not a concern. My blood work looked ok. They did an xray & catscan & ekg. No echo. Chest pain started letting up slong with other symptoms whills being there. Until right at the end it came back & rhe monitor picked up 4 skipped beats at the time as well as some pretty large atrial fiblerations. Ny face started to flush at XXXXXXX of those points. They gave me strict orders of bed rest until my cardiologist could see me on Wednesday. They are still trying to find a stress echo before a month but have not heard anything yet. Im feeling ok this morning, but if im anything like yestrday my chest will start hurting (i mean by pressure) when i walk to restroom. Taking it easy. Is there any key advice tiu could give i feel like some people overlook my age sometimes. And dont know enough about ihss. I also had been diagnosed in passed with APS antiphospholipid syndrome. I do not think it is related but i had a blood transfusion over night. The docs kept me for observation my bp was not high then & they didnt feel anythihg was wrong. I did not bleed out at all & they never found clots. I was the case of the missing blood. Any key things i can say to get attention or that i need to make sure they look at?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Strict heart rate monitoring and bed rest... Detailed Answer: Hi again, I am happy to know that my advice helped you! Do not worry about the "overlook" of some people to your age. As long as you have family history of heart disease, we should make all efforts to come out with the right diagnosis no matter the age. Another thing you should ask the doctor to strictly monitor your rhythm in the hospital for the next 24 hours, because Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is often associated with atrial, ventricular arrhythmia and sudden death. Furthermore, you should follow the advice of avoiding any physical activity and bed resting until you see the cardiologist. Hope it answered to your inquiry! Dr. Benard If you need more assistance, feel free to write me back!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor