Having chest pain and gastric problem. Am I having gastric or heart related problem?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Some times i feel pain on left side chest.
Having a gastric trouble and the pain goes away after some time.
Not able to decide whether it is a gastric/heart related one.
Please suggest what are the tests required to make sure that every thing is good with heart.
2 years back did complete health check and nothing wrong.
2 Years back did ECG, stress test.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
I understand your concern as any pain in left side of chest always raises a suspicion of heart problem.
You must always remember few things in mind regarding a heart pain.
1... Any pain which is less than 30 seconds can not be heart pain
2... Heart pain is not dependent on changing sides or postures
3... A heart pain can not be pin pointed.
4... A heart pain is associated with other symptoms like sweating,uneasiness and the pain is generally crushing and gives a feeling that somebody is squeezing your heart from inside.

As far as investigations are concerned,consult a cardiologist and get an ECG as well as stress testing done to rule out Heart pain.

Severe acidity also gives such symptoms.
Improve your lifestyle and take care of your acidity problem.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks