Having chest pain and bleeding in nose along with pain. Took aspirin. Will it relieve the pain?

Dr. Pratap VGM

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've been having chest pains side this morning. I've had two nosebleeds along with pain I took a lo dose aspirin thinking that stop the pain. What do I do? I am 67 yrs old
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later
Brief Answer: High risk for coronary artery disease Detailed Answer: Dear Madam I reviewed your case; you have many risk factors for coronary artery diseases such as smoking, high cholesterol levels, menopausal age. Occasional chest pains might be due to angina, it occurs when the coronary artery vessels are blocked to a certain degree due to atherosclerosis. To confirm it you might need detailed evaluation like stress test, 2d echo, coronary angiogram to know about blocks in the arteries. You told that you had taken aspirin, which carries risk of bleeding when taken on first time, so you might have experienced nosebleed or else nosebleeds might occur due to uncontrolled blood pressure. So check your blood pressure regularly and keep it under control. Aspirin alone might not be sufficient, you might need a combination of drugs like statins, beta blockers, nitrates and antiplatelets. However, confirm your drug profile you might need some higher investigations as I mentioned. Hope this review is helpful. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E