Having chest discomfort and pain. ECG and chest xray normal. Is it due to anxiety or GERD?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: heartfor last 5-6 days been having chest discomfort and pain. i have been to er and to my dr. the er ran an ekg....did a chest xray...and took a blood test specifically for heart. even did ultrasound on stomach and chest....all clear. all test came back negative. was told heart was perfect and nothing was wrong. was told it was anxiety and gerd. should i still be cocerned about heart or.l could those test rule out all heart issues like dr said they do? pain comes and goes and has been associated with stomach nausea but no vomiting. i have horrible anxiety and am worried sick about heart.....after all tests were negative should i be relaxed and relieved its not mynheart?

thanks
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Since EKG and chest xray are normal, it is less likely to be a heart disease.

Since you have other symptoms like nausea, it looks more like a GI issue than heart.
Anxiety worsens GERD symptoms.

Take prilosec OTC for relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 minutes later
is a ekg...blood work...and chest xray pretty deffinate at ruling out heart problems? if all are negative should i have anynfurthur concern?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 minutes later
If physical activity induces pain, then you can have a TMT done for evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
can anxiety and gerd also include having right arm pain
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 minutes later
GERD does not cause right arm pain.
But anxiety can cause somatization and you may feel right arm pain.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini