Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Having chemical imbalance. Not ready to take treatment. What could be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
Hi I am very upset with my son and daughter inlaw. I know my little twin daughter has a chemical inbalance. Since she is one of a twin, she has had problems with anxiety since she was little and her sister is not like this. I know for expericene that anxiety can cause a lot of problems in your life since I personally have this myself and took a course on this and also for over 30 years have studied the symptoms. My aunt, my brother and myself, have a chemical imbalance which almost shut down our way of living. Thank God for medication to put back the chemical that we are But they had children of this age and a few years older that where experencing all these things, and the doctors recommended this drug, I was so relieved to see what the before and after results where the kids where so happy and not like they where drugged, but where getting the chemical into there brain that made them cope and relax and not have anxiety and fears and being unhappy. What can I do , they are always thinking that she is spoiled or needs attention., Please let me know what to tell them, and that it is safe. thank you XXXX
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety disorders need to be treated

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

Anxiety disorder is a mild form of psychiatry disorder and unfortunately is a victim of stigma. Many people don't seek treatment fearing the side effect of the drugs. However over the last 10 years lot many new medications have appeared in the market which are very very safe.

You should ask them to see a school psychologist who can then guide her parents accordingly.
If the parents are very adamant about not using the drugs then the other possibility is controlling the anxiety symptoms using cognitive behavioural therapy which doesnt involve any medications are as effective as medications.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor