Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Having burning pain on the side of knee. Experiencing buckling of knee daily, snapping and popping. Suggest the treatment?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Can you tell me what does a sharp burning pain on the side of knee indicate? Also, what does a total locking of knee indicate as well? I have been having chronic knee pain accompanied by buckling of my knee daily, snapping, popping, grinding. I have even been on all the traditional types of treatment and nothing has worked please help. Also, what would the ER do if I went there for sever knee pain?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your symptoms could be a part of meniscal tear(menesci are cushion like structure between articular surface of femur and tibia bone).

If you have a tear, you will usually feel a sharp pain along the joint line in the area of your tear (usually the inside or outer part of the knee).

Normally knee locks in extension and process of unlocking occurs by external rotation of leg and knee flexion. Total locking occurs when the fragment of torn meniscus being lodged between your femur and tibia resulting in an inability to straighten or bend your knee.

As conservative treatment does not resolve your symptoms and you have locked knee, surgical intervention might be required.

In ER you may get an xray and your doctor may give you injectable/oral pain killer to relive the severe knee pain.
I suggest you to go for MRI knee and consult an orthopaedician for proper examination and appropriate treatment plan according to that.

Hope this will helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor