Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having burning pain in ankle, small bony nodule below ankle bone. Is this just arthritis or something else?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10441 Questions
Burning ankle painI have reoccurring burning pain on the outer part of my right ankle. I injured my ankle about 8 years ago. I was told it was just sprained. Ever since the injury I have had a small bony nodule below the ankle bone. The walk in clinic I went to for x-rays could not explain the bony bump. I sought treatment before and had physical therapy. That doctor told me I needed ankle reconstructive surgery and sent me to another doctor for a 2nd opinion. 2nd doctor said there was nothing wrong with the bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, or nerves and could not explain why I had pain. The pain is almost daily and can be relived by wearing a brace and OTC pain meds. Is this just arthritis (I am 32) our something else? Can I do further damage to the joint if I do not seek treatment?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The small lump in the area of injury seems to be due to a fibrozed hematoma. Such injuries do show inflammatory changes in times of overuse or stress. The pain seems to be related to arthritic changes only.
Taking adequate analgesics, hot fomentation and physiotherapy will help in resolution of the symptoms. Surgery is not immediately needed. This is not likely to progress and cause any joint damage in the long run.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having burning pain in ankle, small bony nodule below ankle bone. Is this just arthritis or something else? 3 days later
What is a "fibrozed hematoma"? I tried to look it up and could not find anything. I understand the hematoma part, but not the fibrozed part of it. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Hematomas are usually resolved completely. Sometimes the fibrosis or calcification which has a lesser elasticity and can become inflamed on stress.
Hot fomentation and regular physiotherapy usually help. Going for an MRI scan will help in detecting the extent of problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor