Having burning eyes and burning sensation in nostril, back and base of head and around neck. Having discomfort in ear. Cause?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr, thanks in advance! This past week I've been having this symptoms; burning eyes, right nostril burns and the BACK and BASE of my head around my neck and sides also have a burning sensation! I DON'T have the burning in the cheeks or forehead or top of my head and my THROAT DOSNT hurt!!!! I do have been having ear fullness and some minor discomfort, I also have post nasla drip. Then today I felt a little warmer than usual and my temp has been 100.0, 99.7 99.9 what could this be?

Also my ears all of a sudden go clogged for a few seconds, and I've been having chills in body and head.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Allergy and sinusitis would cause similar symptoms.

2. If these symptoms are of a short duration, medication with an anti-allergic and an anti-inflammatory agent will reduce these symptoms.

3. For long duration symptoms, if sinusitis is the underlying cause, it will have to be treated. This may also require a Sinus CT to assess the extent of the problem.

4. Some of the above symptoms such as the burning sensation are referred sensations.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.