Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Having bump on front of neck. Have redness and painful to touch. Should I go to ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 474 Questions
I have a bump under the skin on the front of my neck - to the left of the center of my neck. It is painful to the touch and I have redness on my skin around it. It has grown in size in the last two days and the pain is worse. I don't know what type of doctor I should see or if I should go to the ER.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 14 minutes later
I would be pleased to answer your question .

I would suggest that you will need to get it checked from the Dermatologist ,
It looks like a furuncle which is an inflammation and infection of the Hair follicles . They get inflamed to form the kind of swelling and pain that you have described .
You will need to take the antibiotic in the form of a prescription from the Dermatologist as early as possible to prevent any form of infectious complications like septicemia . Blood test to rule out Diabetes would be suggested.

Thanks and take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having bump on front of neck. Have redness and painful to touch. Should I go to ER? 9 minutes later
Thank you so much for answering so quickly.

I looked up some information on a furuncle and it sounds like it could be possible. Since it is 1:00 am on a Saturday no Dermatologist will be open until Monday and then I would need to wait for the next available appointment. The pain is getting worse and it is growing in size under the skin so I don't think I should wait too long to be seen.

Should I go to an urgent care clinic to be seen faster or wait for a regular appointment?

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 5 hours later
Thanks for the information provided .

You can apply over the counter Neosporin cream twice a day in the mean time and you can also take over the counter paracetamol tablet ( Tylenol ) to reduce the inflammation and the pain.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor