Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Having bump on butt, getting big and bleeding. Feeling itchy and painful. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
I have had a raised bump in my upper butt crack it doesn't seem to be a pimple because it has been there for about a year now and it sometimes gets really big and bleeds and also is itchy and painful I'm not sure what this is and what to do.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

The description and picture seems to be typical of pilonidal sinus with cyst. It needs to be excised by the surgeon. You should XXXXXXX a surgeon. It is simple procedure and take 10 minutes under local anesthesia. Medications are unfortunately not helpful in such cases.

If there is no cyst conservative therapy with good local hygiene and site shaving every 1-3 weeks have been shown to be as effective in preventing recurrence.

There could be dimple in that area which connects to a cavity filled with debris and tissue that get infected and blocked. Thus this cyst develops. The surgeon would excavate this cavity and remove the debris to close it under sterile conditions.

Let me know if you have further enquiry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor