Having brown discharge after a miscarriage. Safe time to have intercourse?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi, I had missed miscarriage 2 weeks ago today. I am having light pale brown discharge and would like to know if it is safe whilst discharge is like this to resume sexual intercourse with my partner? Maternity ward gave me pregnancy test 2 weeks ago to take today which I have done and was negative. I had a natural miscarriage.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 minutes later

After miscarriage up to ten days to two weeks some amount of blood stained vaginal discharge can be seen. Gradually it will become yellowish and then whitish discharge.
If your discharge is not associated with symptoms like pain abdomen, itching, foul smell etc. then that could be taken as normal only.
You can have intercourse, but better to have protected intercourse to prevent pregnancy at-least for two months.
During this time your general condition will improve and also uterine endometrial lining can regrow, the hormonal levels, menstrual cycles will become regular.
Your HCG levels might have came back to zero leading to negative pregnancy test.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 minutes later
Thank you for answering, I can not seem to get an answer for my next question doctors, midwives keep giving different answers.. Is there any medical reason why I can not try again for another baby before my next period? I know there's the chance of infection whilst bleeding, and its easier to date baby on scan once you've had first period, but we would like to try again ASAP and I have noticed it is possible for woman to get pregnant so soon, so if there is no medical reason then we would like to try again obviously without protection?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later

Generally doctors will advice to avoid pregnancy at-least for 2 months after miscarriage because of:
-The reasons told by you.
-Mainly, as the woman will lose blood during her miscarriage, she should get some time to regain her hemoglobin level. This mainly applies to previous mild anemic women.
-For successful pregnancy the endometrium should be completely grown and normal, so that the implantation and growth of gestational sac can take place.
-After miscarriage it will take sometime for regularization of the hormonal levels and for ovulation to occur.
-The woman should recover from the agony of the miscarriage.

So, if you think that your hemoglobin level and general condition are normal, you can track the ovulation.
If ovulation recurs early in your case, you can plan pregnancy.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.